Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Mrs. Bush Disappoints

I am a very great admirer of Laura Bush, but on the subject of Harriet Miers being the "possible" subject of sexism, she's simply wrong. Ed Morrissey weighs in at the link above.

I also disagree with some of Miers' more vehement critics, putting myself in the "disappointed but trying to be optimistic" category...but again, the idea that the ongoing debate is the result of sexism is preposterous. That complaint is so 1970s. This debate is about who can be trusted most to interpret the Constitution as it was written. There would have been no similar debate were the nominee Edith Jones, Janice Rogers Brown, or one of a number of other very fine potential women candidates.

On the other hand, the issue of academic elitism as a hidden cause of some of the Miers criticism I find a more interesting idea, though I don't have a firm opinion on it myself at present. I tend to doubt anyone would have looked askance at Janice Rogers Brown's undergraduate degree from Cal State Sacramento, however. Hugh Hewitt has been discussing the "elitism" argument at some length.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older