Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Stan Berenstain Dies

From Mom-2-Mom Connection comes the news that Stan Berenstain, co-author of THE BERENSTAIN BEARS books, has passed away at age 82.

My oldest daughter was particularly enamored with the books -- we have quite a shelf of them. (My husband, however, objects to the way the father in the books is portrayed as a bit of a nitwit, compared to the wise mother. He may have a good point.) Like Heather at Mom-2-Mom Connection, our favorite is probably Too Much Birthday. That "Too Much..." phrase is enduring and has been used by our family in other contexts.

I also have great fondness for The Big Honey Hunt; I still have my own childhood copy.

While I'm at it, thanks to La Shawn Barber for calling my attention to Mom-2-Mom Connection on her website. I've found it an enjoyable site.

3 Comments:

Blogger Louis said...

I'm with your husband. Papa Bear is a bumbling idiot and Mama Bear is a know-it-all harpy. She's worn Papa down to a little nub.

My children loved the Berenstain Bears books; I was thrilled when they grew out of them.

6:53 AM  
Blogger Heather Ivester said...

Laura,
I'm glad you found my site. We still do enjoy the Berenstain Bears. I like the books because they're a traditional family, which is getting more unusual in our culture today. I found it interesting the Berenstains worked with Dr. Seuss -- what a connection!
www.mom2momconnection.com

2:37 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Heather, you make a good point that one of the things of value in the Berenstain books is the traditional family.

I was interested to learn in a recent article that "Dr. Seuss" himself was the one who shortened Stanley and Janice's names to "Stan and Jan" for the rhyming effect!

I've been enjoying your blog very much since discovering it a few days ago. Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to leave a note. Please drop by again! :)

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older