Thursday, June 29, 2006

"A Treaty With Al Qaeda"

Andy McCarthy writes at National Review that the liberals on the Supreme Court today have, in essence, usurped the role of the President and Senate by making a treaty -- albeit one-sided -- with Al Qaeda. The Supreme Court, operating outside the Constitution, has decreed we must follow the Geneva Convention.

But Al Qaeda does not operate under the Geneva Convention...

McCarthy is betting that we're going to end up with criminal trials.

As he so often is, Justice Kennedy was a terrible disappointment today. The one bright light is that Justice Alito dissented along with Justices Scalia and Thomas. Chief Justice Roberts had to recuse himself as he had previously ruled in this matter -- in favor of the administration -- at the circuit court level.

Read much more analysis in today's posts at Bench Memos.

The last week has not been a good one for our nation's future safety.

Update: Mark Levin on how Congress and the Supreme Court are "systematically stripping the presidency of war-making powers." He writes that, among other things, today's decision reverses a half-century of precedents.

6 Comments:

Blogger UGN said...

Kennedy gets me so mad every time i think about him. If I were the president who appointed him, I would be angry at myself for being either duped or dumb enough to let this happen (his appointment). Arrgh! (yes, I know it was Reagan).

4:08 PM  
Blogger UGN said...

Addendum to last post:

Just out of principle,I would just refrain from appointing anybody named Kennedy to anything!

4:09 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I have this image of President Reagan shaking his head at Kennedy and saying "There you go again..."

President Reagan freely admitted he made a mistake with the 1986 immigration amnesty program, and I suspect he'd admit the same about Kennedy.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

"Just out of principle,I would just refrain from appointing anybody named Kennedy to anything!"

LOL!!

4:10 PM  
Blogger UGN said...

Interesting. I didn't know that Reagan admitted the amnesty was a mistake. I heard a teaser to a radio program where the host said he was going to explain how the '86 amnesty was a totally different thing, but I had arrived my location and missed it.

11:55 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I've heard the quote about Reagan regretting the amnesty program on talk radio several times in recent weeks -- that would be a good thing to Google when time permits and find the exact info. Laura

8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older