Monday, July 24, 2006

I'm Melting...

It's bad enough that we can't afford to run our air conditioner due to rate increases and a new pricing strategy that penalizes heavier residential users, such as larger families who are home during the day.

During today's scorcher (approximately 104 degrees) we couldn't even run a fan for three hours this afternoon, because Edison couldn't keep the power on. Nor could we buy groceries, because the store didn't have its power either. Power outages were a problem all over Southern California. I just love Edison charging highway robbery rates for services it can't even commit to fulfilling. (Yes, I'm cranky today, grin!) The state reached a Stage 2 power emergency, one level away from mandatory rolling blackouts.

Someday California has to get serious about dealing with the environmentalist extremists and others who have prevented new power plants from being built to serve our state. This was an entirely predictable situation. I'm disappointed that Governor Schwarzenegger hasn't made increased electricity production a bigger priority.

The governor says the demand on our plants today reached levels the state wasn't predicted to reach for another half a decade. (It's not politically correct to mention in some quarters, but I'd be curious to know the impact of illegal immigration on this aspect of our state infrastructure.) So...we're doubtless facing years of more power outages and blackouts.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I would have found a local library or movie theater to hang out at. (Of course, that wouldn't have helped Reggie any and he gets hot faster than people because his whole body is covered in fur!)

I hope it cools off there real soon!!!

9:45 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I was trying to get a job done and kept thinking surely the power would come back on any minute...then I thought I'd get dinner at the store deli since I couldn't cook (and didn't want to open my fridge!); we found they were closed so we found a fast food place that was open... We really should have just gone to the movies instead, LOL! :)

10:03 PM  
Blogger CGHill said...

We had a twelve-hour outage eight days ago in my neighborhood, while temperatures were sitting in the 100-plus range; I gave it up and went looking for a hotel room.

And I'm not even in California.

7:11 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

So sorry to hear that you've had to endure some of the high heat/no electricity too!!

Best wishes, Laura

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older