Friday, May 25, 2007

A Long Time Ago in a Galaxy Not So Far Away...

...STAR WARS premiered.

STAR WARS first opened on May 25, 1977, and for better and worse, movies haven't been the same since.

I first saw the film later that summer. Going to see it was quite an adventure, as I took the bus -- I don't think I've been on a city bus since! -- with a friend to The City in Orange, California. The theater no longer exists, and the former location of The City is now The Block at Orange.

I wasn't sure what I thought about this very different kind of movie in the first third or so, but the rescue of the Princess and blowing up the Death Star left me so exhilarated I had to go back and see it maybe another three times that summer.

It was particularly great to have a movie score to enjoy that was so exciting and different, that sounded like it could have been written for an "old" movie. In 1984, thanks to the kindness of the president of the Original Star Wars Fan Club and particularly John Williams' wife, Samantha, my husband was able to borrow the film's score and arrange the "Throne Room" music from the film's final scene for brass quintet, to serve as our wedding recessional. Little did I know, when I first saw the film, all the wonderful ways STAR WARS would impact my life.

A review dating from the time of the STAR WARS premiere is featured above at the subject link.

The anniversary is being celebrated in Los Angeles at a weekend-long convention.

STAR WARS postage stamps are available at post offices today.

There are hints from Lucas there may be a new STAR WARS film coming, set before the last trilogy he filmed.

Fans share memories.

As a movie-going aside, my husband and two oldest children have tickets and will be in line for seats for the new PIRATES movie at the "Big Newport" in Newport Beach, CA, much of the afternoon. This is the same theater where my husband and I first saw THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK and RETURN OF THE JEDI, and the same theater where we took the two older children to see the original STAR WARS films when they were reissued a few years ago. Standing in line for movies is a fun tradition that evolved as part of the STAR WARS phenomenon.

5 Comments:

Blogger Wolf Flywheel said...

It's quite the coincidence that I'm watching "A New Hope" as I read this. I'm not a 'Star Wars nerd' ,but it was a good enough series of movies to entertain someone with even a casual interest.

1:31 PM  
Blogger Irene said...

Ah yes, Star Wars. I too remember the thrill of seeing it for the first time. And the thrill of introducing my daughter to it when it was re-released. She was just the right age.

Yesterday I purchased the tickets and today at 4:45 she, her friend and I are going to see Pirates :)

And an aside. Today I picked up a video of Westward The Women that I ordered from the library. I am dubious of the quality as the tape doesn't look to be in the best of shape. Hope to watch sometime this weekend.

2:12 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

That's fun that you were watching it today, Wolf!

Irene, hope you have a great time at PIRATES. I've only seen the first one thus far, which was fun. My younger children are prone to wild dream lives -- especially the 12-year-old -- and aren't quite ready for Davy Jones & Co. and the effects the visuals would have on their sleep, LOL. :) Would love to know what you think of it.

Hope WESTWARD THE WOMEN will play for you OK and that you will find it as absorbing a film as I did.

Have a great weekend, all!

Laura

5:44 PM  
Blogger Irene said...

If your kids are prone to dreaming about scary things, then 2 and 3 are not for them. It is rated PG13 for a very good reason. My adult friend walked out of POC2 last year as she couldn't take the scary creatures with Davy Jones, or Davy for that matter. Much violence in POC3. Also the beginning is depressing and involves mass hangings. But all that being said, I loved it. Those scary creatures and stuff I look at as super special effects. Very long and convoluted story but it moves along fast with all the action. I am prone to agree with MiceAge's review and not MousePlanets.

10:43 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

The half of our family who saw it really enjoyed PIRATES 3 as well. Eldest Daughter, the biggest PIRATES fan, thought it was better than No. 2 (which she liked). What did you think as far as how they compared?

Have a great weekend!
Laura

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older