Saturday, January 12, 2008

NYT Reviewer Clueless About Veggie Tales

Yesterday three of my children went to see the new VEGGIE TALES movie, THE PIRATES WHO DON'T DO ANYTHING, and had a very enjoyable time. They are all VEGGIE TALES fans, especially the 19-year-old, who loves the sly humor and inside jokes.

NewsBusters notes that the New York Times review was written by someone who was apparently completely clueless about the VEGGIE TALES franchise; his review was consequently utterly lacking in value for those who would be most likely to want to see a VEGGIE TALES movie.

Two of the NYT review's four paragraphs were meandering guesses as to what "faith" had to do with the movie; the reviewer also appears to have absolutely no idea that the series regularly has spoof titles and pop culture references, along with plots that are reworkings of Bible stories or classic literature. (He must have missed seeing THE ASPARAGUS OF LA MANCHA and SUMO OF THE OPERA.) He seriously seems to think the movie is ripping off the PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN series. If the reviewer's not serious, he's a very bad comedian.

Hello?!

The L.A. Times, on the other hand, gave the movie a thumbs up in a well-written, knowledgeable review. The review starts out on a fun note: "Strange thoughts can occur when watching a movie populated entirely by vegetables. For instance, do Veggie Pirates get scurvy or beriberi?"

4 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

Ever since my daughter discovered these movies back in 7th grade we have been huge Veggie Tale fans. I think I own them all :) We are looking forward to seeing this one this week. Nothing surprises me when it comes to the NY Times :(

A mantra of ours used to be "Oh, where is my hairbrush? Oh, where is my hairbrush? Oh, where, oh where, oh where, oh where, oh where ... is my hairbrush?" One of the best silly songs for me was the one where Santa was coming.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I'm pretty sure we've got them all too. (grin) One of the neat things is that they "play" so well to all ages -- there is a lot of sophisticated humor that sails right over the littlest viewers' heads, but they can enjoy it on their own level.

Laura

11:08 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

"I wanna tell you summin'
I ain't got no belly button!"

I love these movies!
Terri
Oh, I let the kids watch them with me too! LOL

10:00 AM  
Blogger Shari said...

We haven't seen this one yet. However, between watching the ones we have and watching some at church, my kids have seen many of them. They are great because they entertain both kids and adults.

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older