Friday, June 27, 2008

Pixar Does It Again: Wall-E Opens Today

Looks like Pixar and Disney have another huge hit on their hands with WALL-E, which opens today.

USA Today gives the movie a four-star review (click the post title above), while the L.A. Times says the film is "Daring and traditional, groundbreaking and familiar, apocalyptic and sentimental..." and the print edition headline says "sweetly wonderful and full of wonder."

The New York Times: "The first 40 minutes or so of WALL-E...is a cinematic poem of such wit and beauty that its darker implications may take a while to sink in... We’ve grown accustomed to expecting surprises from Pixar, but WALL-E surely breaks new ground... a disarmingly sweet and simple love story, Chaplinesque in its emotional purity."

WALL-E is "voiced" by Ben Burtt, who created the sound effects behind R2-D2. John Ratzenberger, who has appeared in every Pixar film to date, plays a character named John.

I hadn't been sure about how interested I was in seeing a "robot movie," but then I wasn't quite sure about seeing a cooking rat, either (grin). Somehow Pixar always manages to pull it off.

7 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

I have been looking forward to this movie for a long time. I will go see anything that has the Pixar name attached to it :)

Daughter and I are planning to see it next Tuesday on her day off. We will see it in a digital projection theater.

9:55 PM  
Blogger Irene said...

It is now Tuesday evening and we saw Wall-E today. I can not begin to tell you how much I loved this movie. I think it is the best Pixar movie to date, and that's saying something. It made both Jennifer and me cry a couple of times. This is a must see. Also the little animated short before the movie is great.

6:45 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks so much for the review, Irene! Delighted to hear how much you liked it.

My husband took the kids while I was working the other day, and they really liked it too. (The girls came home and immediately asked their grandfather to lend them his copy of HELLO DOLLY! to watch, grin.) Not sure if I'm going to see it in the theater or wait for the DVD. Watching the latest Pixar DVD release has become a Thanksgiving night tradition at our house!

Best wishes,
Laura

8:47 AM  
Blogger Irene said...

I'm looking forward to the DVD but I have to tell that unless you have a big screen TV (I don't) it is really a movie that should be seen for the first time on a big screen and digital if it is at all possible. I've had the Hello Dolly songs running through my head all night and today :)

12:52 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for the additional input, Irene. I'm usually a proponent of seeing movies on the "big screen" so we'll have to see how it works out. Just got a note from another friend today telling me how much she loved it.

At which theater did you see it screened with digital projection?

Best wishes,
Laura

2:08 PM  
Blogger Irene said...

We saw it at Edwards Long Beach 26 in the Long Beach Town Center off the 605 on Carson. Doing a search I find that in Orange County it is showing in digital at Regal Garden Grove 16, Edwards Metro Pointe 12 in Costa Mesa, and Century Stadium 25 in Orange. There may be more but that is what a quick search on Fandango shows. Good luck and I hope you get to do this :)

P.S. I know someone on MiceChat said they saw it in digital and regular and that the difference was noticeable in that the regular was fuzzy and the digital was sharp and clear.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks so much for taking the time to send that info, Irene! I'm familiar with all those theaters. :)

(I love to get takeout from Lucille's at Towne Center...but whoever designed the roads in the parking lot should have their license revoked!)

Best wishes,
Laura

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older