Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Footsteps in the Fog: Alfred Hitchcock's San Francisco

When I recently reviewed SHADOW OF A DOUBT after seeing it for the first time, Carrie recommended the book FOOTSTEPS IN THE FOG by Jeff Kraft and Aaron Leventhal.

The book just arrived from Amazon and it exceeds my expectations -- nearly 300 glossy pages with photos, maps, and much more information about the filming of SHADOW OF A DOUBT, THE BIRDS, and VERTIGO. There is a great deal of information about the locations, including photos of buildings as they appear today.

FOOTSTEPS IN THE FOG also contains information on Northern California locations used in other Hitchcock films, including REBECCA, SUSPICION, MARNIE, and PSYCHO.

Although I haven't read it yet, the book looks like an absolutely wonderful piece of film history. If you're a Hitchcock fan, you'll want to read it.

My thanks to Carrie for a great tip.

6 Comments:

Blogger jau said...

I first saw this book in the bookstore that's under the bridge in the picture! I almost expired from the onomatopeia (sp?) and sheer joy of the moment. I was visiting my daughter who lived in San Francisco and we'd taken a talk along the water. What an incredibly beautiful place, by the way. Needless to say, I bought the wonderful book! I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!!

Best -
Anne

12:40 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

What a marvelous story! I'm so glad you shared about your serendipitous find. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

1:33 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

You're welcome! I just love the city shots for Shadow of a Doubt. I received the book for Christmas & was glued to it.

3:02 PM  
Blogger jau said...

Carrie - OMG!! Today I've found a Kay Francis blog and now a Robert Montgomery fan (you)! I think the world must be settling onto a better spin on its axis or something. I'm SO excited to have found your blog and can't wait to read more and write to you. He's one of my all-time favorites!!!

Thanks, Laura!! We really should consider that side-blog about movies, shouldn't we?!?

11:48 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Glad I could tip you off to Carrie's blog, Anne! You will love the beautiful photos and other neat stuff she has posted there. It's so nice that Robert Montgomery still has such a following today, isn't it? Enjoy!

My VCR has been whirling away recording all the Francis movies stacked up in my DVR! :)

BTW, it just dawned on me that your aunt was in VERTIGO, which makes your find of the book even more serendipitous, doesn't it? :) Once I watch THE BIRDS I hope to catch up with VERTIGO -- I'm working on watching Hitchcock movies I've not seen yet. THE 39 STEPS is another! My daughter is "sitting in" on a Hitchcock class with Drew Casper this semester so that's got me extra-interested.

Have a great weekend --
Best wishes,
Laura

11:58 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Can never have too many Bob fans, Anne :0)

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older