Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Coming to DVD: Magnificent Obsession (1935/1954)

Fan of classic movies can look forward to a great new DVD set from Criterion in January, which will contain director Douglas Sirk's 1954 version of MAGNIFICENT OBSESSION, starring Jane Wyman and Rock Hudson, as well as the 1935 original, which stars Irene Dunne and Robert Taylor.

Extras include a commentary track on the '54 version, as well as an 80-minute documentary on Douglas Sirk.

The two-disc set will be released January 20th.

I don't think I've seen the Wyman-Hudson version since I was a teenager, and I've never seen the older version, which stars two of my favorite actors, so I'm very much looking forward to enjoying these movies in 2009.

3 Comments:

Blogger Classic Maiden said...

This will definitely go on my wishlist... I've only seen the films he did with Barbara Stanwyck though, but I was quite impressed!

11:56 AM  
Blogger Raquel Stecher said...

YAY! This is great news!

6:45 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Raquelle, I enjoyed your latest post on ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS, which I saw earlier this year. I'm very much looking forward to the chance to see another Hudson-Wyman-Sirk film on DVD.

And I'm even more excited to have another Robert Taylor movie on DVD. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older