Wednesday, February 25, 2009

An Interesting Movie List

Over at Big Hollywood, Burt Prelutsky published a list of his favorite -- not necessarily "the best" -- movies, decade by decade. It's always fun to see what appeals to fellow film fans.

It was an enjoyable list. I've seen a majority of the titles listed through the '60s, and many of the movies he mentions from later decades, as well.

I was intrigued by his inclusion of Jeanne Crain's APARTMENT FOR PEGGY (1948), which I commented last October is a film which deserves wider recognition.

He also lists two of my top three favorite movies, SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS (1954) and MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS (1944). I was also delighted to see the recognition for one of James Garner's very best movies, SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHERIFF! (1969). Prelutsky must be a Garner fan, as he also lists 36 HOURS and MURPHY'S ROMANCE.

Newer movies which make his list include SENSE AND SENSIBILITY (1995) and GROUNDHOG DAY (1993).

A few of my favorites which didn't make his list: THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD (1938), THE MARK OF ZORRO (1940), YOU WERE NEVER LOVELIER (1942), SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON (1949), THE QUIET MAN (1952), WHITE CHRISTMAS (1954), MARY POPPINS (1964), and THE SOUND OF MUSIC (1965), which is the third film on my own "Top 3" favorite movies list.

Newer titles I would include among my favorites: THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS (1992), EMMA (1996 Paltrow version), and YOU'VE GOT MAIL (1998).

4 Comments:

Blogger NoirGirl said...

Hi Laura,

I love your blog. I love those links in your sidebar - Drudge & Rush! It says in your "about me" that you homeschool (and in California, no less - my sympathies!). I was homeschooled and loved every moment of it.

We like a lot of the same films. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, The Quiet Man and The Adventures of Robin Hood are three of my biggest favorites. :)

Thanks for commenting on my blog!

Casey

3:45 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Welcome, Casey! Thanks so much for your nice note. I'm glad I found your blog today via Raquelle's site. It's always nice to "meet" more film fans with the same interests, as well as someone who has shared our homeschooling experience. Please visit again! :)

Best wishes,
Laura

3:56 PM  
Blogger Ed South said...

I'm known for liking rather "unfantastic" movies. Here's a list I posted a few years ago of my all-time favorite movies.

100 Movies I Love

4:50 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Ed! That's a fun list. I counted up and I've seen at least 25 of your list of 100. I keep looking for AMY to turn up on DVD, to no avail. I especially enjoyed seeing Margaret O'Brien in an adult role in that one.

Funny thing, within the last week I shipped our DVDs of AIRPLANE! to my daughter and SNOWBALL EXPRESS to my dad. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older