Sunday, July 25, 2010

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the Internet...

...Class act: My husband and daughters, the "sci-fi geeks" in the family, spent Friday at Comic-Con in San Diego. They had a lovely extended conversation with actress Erin Gray from the old BUCK ROGERS IN THE 25TH CENTURY series. She couldn't have been more gracious, and they got a great photo with her. Always nice to hear stories like that!

...The next Julia Roberts movie, EAT PRAY LOVE (2010), will be out on August 13th. I'm not wild about the Indian mysticism angle, but I'm always up for a new Julia Roberts movie so I'll probably try it anyway. Here's a trailer.

...An upcoming title thanks to my Amazon recommendations: ERROL & OLIVIA: EGO AND OBSESSION IN GOLDEN ERA HOLLYWOOD. I'm unfamiliar with the author, Robert Matzen. No release date is given. Incidentally, I wonder what ever happened to Olivia deHavilland's autobiography, which was due out over a year ago? The title was said to be NOW IS THE TIME.

...The Film Noir Classic Collection Volume 5 has been reviewed by Glenn Erickson, Classic Film and TV Cafe (by The Lady Eve), and Dave Kehr. Kehr's article also includes a review of the new Columbia Pictures Film Noir Classics Vol. 2.

...And here's a good article by Kehr on NIGHT TRAIN TO MUNICH (1940) and other British films, including NO ORCHIDS FOR MISS BLANDISH (1948). Kehr sure makes me interested in checking out more British movies.

...SUMMER HOLIDAY (1948) is one of the latest releases from the Warner Archive. It makes me rather sad that films such as this and another recent release, LOVELY TO LOOK AT (1952), won't be coming out in a beautiful DVD "Dream Factory" boxed set.

...Lou Lumenick has more info on other recent Warner Archive releases.

...Reviews, reviews, and more reviews: SKYSCRAPER SOULS (1932) with Warren William and Maureen O'Sullivan was reviewed at Black and White: Cinema and Chocolate...SUEZ (1938) with Tyrone Power and Loretta Young was reviewed at Kevin's Movie Corner...Where Danger Lives looked at Dick Powell in CORNERED (1945)...BECAUSE OF HIM (1946), which I reviewed in 2008, was reviewed this week at both A Noodle in a Haystack and The Amazing Deanna Durbin...the Margaret Lockwood film BEDELIA (1946), written about at Noir of the Week, sounds interesting...and here's a post on BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (1946) at Classic Movies Digest.

...A book from last summer which just crossed my radar screen: EARLY UNIVERSAL CITY from Arcadia Publishing's Images of America series. Last weekend I mentioned an upcoming book in this series on Early Warner Bros. Studios.

...At Another Old Movie Blog, Jacqueline wrote an essay on SUMMER STOCK (1950), which was one of the first films I ever saw in a revival theater. It was on a double bill with ON THE TOWN (1949), and the screen was little more than a sheet...periodically we could hear machine guns from the Cagney movie playing next door!

...I also loved Jacqueline's post on nearby Long Beach Airport, which I have flown out of numerous times. It's always fun to spot it in old movies!

...REIGN OF TERROR (1949), reviewed at The Movie Projector, is on my "watch soon" list. Leonard Maltin says it's "Stunningly shot by John Alton; every shot is a painting!" The movie stars Robert Cummings and Arlene Dahl and was directed by Anthony Mann. The film is also known by the title THE BLACK BOOK.

...The more I read about Pat Haden, the more excited I am about USC hiring him as their new athletic director.

...Dear Old Hollywood ran a terrific piece on Los Angeles locations seen in Joan Crawford's POSSESSED (1947).

...Amazon is selling 80% more digitally downloaded books than hardcovers? Wow...

Have a great week!

3 Comments:

Blogger monty said...

That's cool about your family attending Comic Con. I went to Dragon Con in Atlanta last year and while not as big as San Diego, it was still pretty fun. I'm sure your family had a great time. Oh and thanks for sending your answers back so promptly. I will post them at the beginning of August. And add my own commentary and some pictures to go with it. Thanks a bunch Laura.

2:40 AM  
Blogger Jacqueline T. Lynch said...

Thank you for the links. It's funny you should mention the de Haviland autobiography, I was just wondering the same thing about when it would be published.

4:41 AM  
Blogger panavia999 said...

I too wonder about de Havilland's auto bio. I'm seldom interested in the private lives of performers, but I love to read about how they practice their art and how business was conducted in their day. I figure Olivia would have interesting things to tell.

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older