Sunday, July 29, 2012

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the Internet...

...I'm happy to say I once again have a computer up and running, so blogging should get back to a more normal pace this week.

...I was glad I could contribute to a great Dana Andrews blogathon with a post on WING AND A PRAYER (1944) last night. I highly recommend checking out the other very interesting blogathon posts. Carl Rollyson, the author of a brand-new biography on Andrews, has added some very interesting bits of biographical info in the comments of each post. Thanks to Carl and also to Stephen of Classic Movie Man, our blogathon host, who was very accommodating about including me at the last minute due to my computer issues!

...Congratulations to Raquelle of Out of the Past on her recent wedding! Her reception featured a Classic Hollywood theme and beautiful Art Deco cake.

...Toby reviews a new DVD release of a restored Roy Rogers Trucolor film, SPRINGTIME IN THE SIERRAS (1947), at 50 Westerns From the 50s.

...I'm looking forward to watching EASY LIVING (1949), a Warner Archive release with Victor Mature, Lucille Ball, Lizabeth Scott, and Lloyd Nolan. Glenn Erickson reviewed it last week at DVD Savant. He also recently reviewed some of the movies in the new Fox Classics line.

...Susan King of the L.A. Times recently interviewed Margaret O'Brien.

...Five early Frank Capra films are coming to DVD via TCM and Sony. I'm pretty sure I remember such a set being in the works before the DVD market changed a few years ago, which may explain why this set has significant extras, including introductions and commentaries.

...I've got to see THIS IS MY LOVE (1954), starring Linda Darnell and Dan Duryea. The Self-Styled Siren has a very entertaining post on the film.

...Will recently enjoyed Henry Fonda and Gene Tierney in RINGS ON HER FINGERS (1942), which he discusses at Cinema Sentries. And don't miss his photo-filled post on the same film at Cinematically Insane.

...And Caftan Woman's post on "Better Parenting Through Movies" is fun! Top favorites of my kids when they were little included WINNIE THE POOH AND THE HONEY TREE (1966) -- the only thing that would calm down my oldest daughter when she was a toddler and had ear infections! -- SINGIN' IN THE RAIN (1952) and pretty much any MGM musical, THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD (1938), THE THIN MAN (1934), SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHERIFF! (1969), RIO BRAVO (1959) and a bunch more John Wayne films...and I could go on and on!

...I recently won a drawing for a wonderful set of CDs of a radio show starring Dick Powell as RICHARD DIAMOND, PRIVATE DETECTIVE. Virginia Gregg and Ed Begley Sr. costar as his girlfriend and his friend on the police force, with Blake Edwards writing the scripts. You get the best of both sides of Dick Powell, his hard-boiled sarcastic private eye persona and the crooner, as he closes each show singing a tune for his girlfriend! The sound quality of this set from Radio Spirits is excellent, and I've enjoyed listening to several episodes on my recent drives to Los Angeles. The informative liner notes are by my friend Ivan of Thrilling Days of Yesteryear. Recommended.

...Notable Passings: TV star Chad Everett of MEDICAL CENTER passed on last week at the age of 75. One year ago I noted the passing of his wife, actress Shelby Grant. As a young man Everett worked with one of my favorite actors, Robert Taylor, and became a great admirer of Taylor's, as discussed in this recorded interview...British actress Mary Tamm, known as Time Lady Romana on DR. WHO in the late '70s Tom Baker era, has died at 62...TV producer-director William Asher has died at 90. He produced one of my all-time favorite shows, BEWITCHED, starring his then wife, Elizabeth Montgomery...and character actor R.G. Armstrong passed away at 95. I particularly remember him from a couple episodes of my favorite show of all, MAVERICK; he was in over 180 movies and TV shows...Update: Thanks to commenter Barrylane for mentioning that British actor Simon Ward has passed on. Ward is perhaps best known for an early role, YOUNG WINSTON (1972), as well as a TV-movie version of ALL CREATURES GREAT AND SMALL (1975), playing James Herriott opposite Anthony Hopkins' Siegfried Farnon.

...On Monday, July 30th, The Digital Bits site will be paying tribute to their late reviewer, the wonderful Barrie Maxwell. Be sure to check out this special day honoring a man it was my great pleasure to read for the past decade.

Have a great week!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout out, Laura!

12:02 AM  
Blogger Caftan Woman said...

Heaven bless that Winnie-the-Pooh. He's a life saver for children (sick or otherwise) and parents. We can get just as much of a kick out of the stories, if not more, when we're adults as when we were children.

2:51 AM  
Blogger DKoren said...

I was so sorry to hear of Mary Tamm's passing. There were very few women characters I wanted to be growing up, but her Romana was one of them.

I need to go catch up on all the Dana Andrews posts now!

7:12 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

You're very welcome, Will!

Caftan Woman, I so agree. My daughter's chronic ear problems were hard on us both, yet I have such strangely sweet memories of her little tear-streaked face drying as Winnie the Pooh came on the TV -- sometimes at 1:00 a.m.! I'm so glad he was there for us both. I think I could recite the soundtrack along with the movie to this day..."I must be going now, Rabbit!" Just the other day my daughter and I were talking about the best Disney (or Pixar) can be enjoyed on multiple levels by adults and children, and Pooh is a great example.

I love that you so admired Romana, Deb! :) Hope you enjoy the Andrews posts, lots of good stuff there.

Best wishes,
Laura

11:11 AM  
Blogger barrylane said...

You might want to add Simon Ward to significant passings.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I'm so sorry to hear Simon Ward has passed on, barrylane! I'll update my post with his name.

Thank you,
Laura

2:20 PM  
Blogger Tom said...

R.G. Armstrong's IMDB page hasn't even been updated yet. I know him best as Pruneface in Dick Tracy. RIP

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older