Friday, September 28, 2012

Coming to DVD: Maureen O'Hara at Universal

Thanks to Toby and company at 50 Westerns From the 50s for the great news that two of Maureen O'Hara's early '50s films will soon be out in the Universal Vault series, available at Amazon.

FLAME OF ARABY (1951), in which Maureen costars with Jeff Chandler, has been on my wish list for a while now, and I'll be picking it up as soon as it's available. Looks like a lot of fun.

The supporting cast of FLAME OF ARABY includes Richard Egan, Lon Chaney Jr., and Susan Cabot. Charles Lamont directed.

COMANCHE TERRITORY (1950) pairs Maureen with Macdonald Carey, recently enjoyed by me in another Western, MAN OR GUN (1958). George Sherman directed.

The Universal Vault DVDs have been visually impressive, as mentioned in my reviews of TOMAHAWK (1951) and SEMINOLE (1953), so I'm anticipating the lovely Maureen will be looking exceptionally nice in these Technicolor movies.

This is a DVD series really deserving of support from classic film fans. My only complaint about the Universal Vault series is I wish they would release more titles!

4 Comments:

Blogger Blake Lucas said...

I wish they'd release more titles too. But maybe it's good they are not doing it all at once. If they released all of their '50s movies together, I'd probably go broke buying them all!

11:13 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

That's a great point, Blake! :) There are so many Universal movies I'd love to have in a beautiful print.

Best wishes,
Laura

11:06 AM  
Blogger James Corry said...

I wish they (Universal/MGM-UA/etc.) would let us know somehow/somewhere that these things are being released! If it weren't for the eagle-eyes of Laura, John McElwee and Glenn Erickson, I'd never know half of these films were available! They just kind of seem to "come out of nowhere" with no announcements or fanfare whatsoever.....To the studios: "We can't buy 'em if we don't know about 'em!!"

Brad

3:02 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Brad, I really wish there were a central site for Universal and Fox Cinema Archives DVDs in particular. Warner Archive is easy because they regularly advertise their new releases, but some of these lines like Universal require hunting around or coming across chance mentions on other sites. I'm surprised that Amazon doesn't have a new releases page -- if you search Universal Vault series you get everything!

Lou Lumenick of the New York Post just Tweeted me the other night to say how happy he was to discover Deanna Durbin's THE AMAZING MRS. HOLLIDAY came out from the Universal Vault series last summer. He'd had no idea, and he's got pretty good sources.

Best wishes,
Laura

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older