Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Quick Preview of TCM in December

The online preview of TCM's December schedule came out relatively late this year, but it's now available!

Myrna Loy is the December Star of the Month, voted in by the members of TCM's Backlot fan club, who chose between Myrna and Bette Davis.

This is the popular Loy's third time as Star of the Month. She was previously the Star of the Month in 1995 and 2004.

Loy's films will be shown every Friday, leading up to a 24-hour Myrna Loy-William Powell marathon on December 23rd.

As always, there are many wonderful Christmas movies showing in December!

"Robert Osborne's Picks" on Christmas Eve frequently include a film from 20th Century-Fox amidst the Christmas titles -- a treat as Fox films cost more for TCM to license. This year his Fox pick is THE DOLLY SISTERS (1945), starring Betty Grable, June Haver, and John Payne.

The only sad note in that regard is Mr. Osborne's continuing absence from the network. It would be a lovely surprise if he turned up to host the Christmas Eve films.

Earlier in the month the wonderful Fox film I'D CLIMB THE HIGHEST MOUNTAIN (1951) is on the schedule. It's warm Americana well suited for December.

Also on tap for December is the latest edition of Treasures From the Disney Vault, including PERRI (1957), OLD YELLER (1957), THE LITTLEST OUTLAW (1955), and THE UGLY DACHSHUND (1966).

There's a 'round-the-clock marathon of shorts on December 5th, and the 75th anniversary of Pearl Harbor Day will be marked with a selection of WWII films.

Also of note is a screening of PLEASURE CRUISE (1933), a pre-Code which was popular in "Theater 4" at the TCM Classic Film Festival. I didn't get a chance to see it then so I'm looking forward to checking it out.

December tributes include Alice White, Dick Purcell, George Brent, Irene Dunne, Ruth Roman, Elvis Presley, Roland Young, and Sydney Greenstreet.

New Year's Eve will be spent with the THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT! (1974) series.

I'll have more detailed information on the December schedule, including my annual post on Christmas movies airing in December, sometime after Thanksgiving.

In the meantime, Christopher Lee continues as the October Star of the Month, with Natalie Wood on deck for November.

Update: For more on TCM in December 2016, please visit TCM in December: Highlights, TCM Star of the Month: Myrna Loy, and TCM in December: Christmas Movies.

7 Comments:

Blogger Net - "It's a Wonderful Movie" said...

Thank you for your TCM highlights - I always look forward to them!!!

I was updating Christmas movies on my site today for TCM and when I saw The Dolly Sisters movie on Christmas Eve- I was wondering if that one was a Christmas movie. It's been awhile since I've seen that movie and couldn't recall if there was perhaps some mention of Christmas in it. But, from your post I'm gathering that it isn't Christmas... Just something special added in the mix.

Thank you for all you do to keep us all updated on these wonderful classics!!!

Blessings, Net

12:30 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you, Net, it's a pleasure and I'm truly delighted to know these posts are enjoyed! (I've already started work on my Christmas movies post, though it won't be up for over a month!)

I haven't seen THE DOLLY SISTERS yet, despite my love for the cast, so I'm unaware if it includes a Christmas scene. But, as mentioned, its inclusion fits Robert Osborne's Christmas Eve pattern of often incorporating a Fox film. :) Past Fox films he's showcased on Christmas Eve include SUN VALLEY SERENADE (1941) -- which does take place at Christmas, though it's very subtle -- MARGIE (1946), CHICKEN EVERY SUNDAY (1948), and COME TO THE STABLE (1949); the latter, I might add, *feels* like a Christmas movie, even though it's not.

As a side note, when I met Mr. Osborne I thanked him for showing MARGIE and said I would love for TCM to show Fox's musical CENTENNIAL SUMMER (1946). He said he'd love to. Unfortunately, that movie seems to be perennially entangled in rights issues.

Best wishes,
Laura

9:21 PM  
Blogger mel said...

Wow! If I were in the US, from 6.00 a.m. on Monday, December 5, I'd be glued to the TCM channel for 24 hours to watch the most remarkable selection of short films that I've ever seen. Better tell your dad, Laura - he'll flip...

10:16 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

You bet, Mel! I'll have him take a close look at the schedule. :) Really unique programming that day!

Best wishes,
Laura

10:27 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Postscript, my dad "researched" THE DOLLY SISTERS this morning and reports there is not a Christmas minute in the movie! He describes the film as "highly enjoyable." I need to catch up with it!

Best wishes,
Laura

9:38 AM  
Blogger A said...

As to 'The Dolly Sisters", it seems like anything with a winter or snow scene or mentions December is considered a Christmas movie on most channels these days. I haven't seen it in years, but there are a lot of pictures of them in furs, so it wouldn't surprise me of merely winter is the cause for calling this as a Christmas film.

In terms of Robert Osborne, I wish we would get occasional Robert Osborne updates, even if they just said, "He's still ill". To me, he is TCM. Ben would probably my second choice. Not addressing the issue at all seems like a disservice to the man and his decades of fantastic work.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for the feedback, Amanda! THE DOLLY SISTERS is one I haven't seen, love the cast.

I agree, I understand there may be privacy issues but Mr. Osborne is such an important part of TCM, it would be nice if there could be some sort of update to the TCM community of viewers.

Best wishes,
Laura

3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older