Sunday, October 29, 2017

Escape From Fort Bravo (1953): A Photo Gallery

At the Lone Pine Film Festival earlier this month I tremendously enjoyed revisiting ESCAPE FROM FORT BRAVO (1953).

ESCAPE FROM FORT BRAVO stars William Holden, Eleanor Parker, John Forsythe, and Richard Anderson. It was shown at the festival as many scenes were filmed in nearby Death Valley. One of the interesting things about Lone Pine is that if you go one direction from town you end up at the highest spot in the continental U.S., Mount Whitney, and if you go the other direction you arrive at the lowest spot in the continental U.S., Death Valley's Badwater.

ESCAPE FROM FORT BRAVO was directed by John Sturges. Since last night I reviewed Sturges' later Western THE LAW AND JAKE WADE (1958), it seemed like the perfect time to take a look back at his ESCAPE FROM FORT BRAVO.

When I first reviewed ESCAPE FROM FORT BRAVO here a decade ago, I was unable to find much to illustrate my post. That isn't the case these days, with numerous publicity and set stills available. I hope my readers will enjoy perusing these great photos as much as I enjoyed gathering them.















I very much like this film, which is romantic, suspenseful, and action-packed, with a pair of wonderful, attractive leads and a terrific supporting cast.

ESCAPE FROM FORT BRAVO is available on DVD. I wouldn't be surprised if someday, like THE LAW AND JAKE WADE, it's reissued on Blu-ray by the Warner Archive.

2021 Update: ESCAPE FROM FORT BRAVO will be released on Blu-ray by the Warner Archive in May 2021. My review of the Blu-ray release is here.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kristina said...

Good movie and wonderful photos, some great action sequences in this (won't ever forget all those arrows!) must've been great to rewatch at Lone Pine.

3:06 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Yes, that scene with the arrows is so memorable! A really well-staged movie. It was great to see it on a big screen with an appreciative audience this month!

Best wishes,
Laura

4:06 PM  
Blogger Vienna said...

Definitely a favorite western. Thanks for those super pictures!

12:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the DVD but happy for the Blu-ray upgrade. Great acting and chemistry between Parker and Holden brings alive the non-linear aspects of true love.
BOB

3:48 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Vienna, you're so welcome!

Bob, like you I have the DVD but will enjoy checking out the new Blu-ray print!! A very enjoyable film.

Best wishes,
Laura

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older